Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Megabusted

I wrote this yesterday, but I'm too lazy to change it...

I’m currently sitting at the Dixie off I-55 just south of Bloomington.   We stopped for our 30 minute break 3 hours and 10 minutes ago.  On the way down, we pulled over once because the air conditioning wasn’t fully functional.  Unfortunately it completely stopped working on our way to our break and we have been waiting for a new bus since then.  The claim is that it will be here in about an hour and a half.  It’s 6pm and our bus was supposed to be pulling into Union Station St. Louis 15 minutes ago.  After attempting to convince various members of my family to make the drive to pick me up, we determined that the bus would probably beat any of them here. 

Once I became resigned to the fact that I was at least 6 hours from being home, it’s turned into a decent experience.  I’m not stranger to travel delays and I’m attempting to “roll with it” a little more.  I had no choice but to come into the Dixie to charge my phone (first world problems).  I was reluctant to take up a table because I originally did not plan to buy any food.  When I expressed this to another stranded passenger, she told me that she was planning to eat and I was welcome to share her booth.  I kindly accepted.

We chatted for awhile and I decided to order some food (and left our waitress a nice tip for us taking up her table…I will be getting a refund on my $10 ticket).  She’s a PhD student and SLU and just got back from the UK and it was quite entertaining to listen to her some of her stories.


Despite my frustration and my desire to get home, this hasn’t been so bad.  At least I’m not stuck on the side of the road on a hot, sticky bus, but in a breezy diner with food in my tummy and an interesting companion.  Things could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment